Great Adventures & Exciting Activities in Hilton Head, South Carolina
This Island getaway, located on the southern tip of South Carolina provides travelers with a number of great options while on vacation there. Hilton Head is known for having a great golf game and with over 20 championship golf courses, it is easy to see why. Add in the beach, amazing views by boat or land, great dining, hiking and biking and especially the ability to shop and relax and it becomes clear why Hilton Head is such a great destination. For suggestions on what to do, where to eat, what to pack and more, visit our page for, “Hilton Head, South Carolina”
Hilton Head is a destination that is perfect for a number of things, but was recently featured on our Sundance Vacations Travel Blog as a great vacation idea to take dad on Father’s Day!
Hilton Head Island Beach and Tennis
Hilton Head Island, SC
Hilton Head Island Beach and Tennis Resort offers a soft, white sand beach and includes 10 lighted tennis courts. Hilton Head is a beachcombers dream and was voted one of the world's best beach destinations. 33 World class championship golf courses await. Rent a bike and enjoy 100 miles of dedicated bike trails on the island or enjoy an eco-tourism tour in nearby Sea Pines Forest Preserve for bird watching.
Coral Sands by Palmera
Hilton Head Island, SC
Enjoy your island getaway from the comfort of this upscale Hilton Head Island vacation resort! Whether you enjoy the beautiful golf courses, a vigorous tennis match, and the miles of bicycle trails and/or relaxing on the beach, this perfectly located condo will allow you to take full advantage of everything Hilton Head Island has to offer.
Things to Do in Hilton Head
- Golf Hilton Head Island- Hilton Head Island has been a popular destination for vacationers since 1960, but it wasn’t until 1969 that it gained popularity among golfers. In November of 1969, the PGA Tour held a tournament at Harbor Town Golf Links, and it was an immediate success, giving it its popularity! Want to learn more? Checkout "Must Play Golf Courses in South Carolina"
- Hilton Head Island Bike Trails - This activity is rated as the number one thing to do on Tripadvisor.com and is great no matter what your activity level. The trails are paved, flat and you can ride over 100 miles of hems on the island. Check out this website for one of the larger providers: "Hilton Head Outfitters"
- Sailing and Dolphin Tours - Whether you're interested in "pure" sailing, taking a Sunset Happy Hour Sail or getting close to nature with the Dolphin experience, this company provides it for you. Read more about exploring the aquatic beauty of Hilton Head, SC here: "Pau Hana& Flying Circus Catamaran Sailing Charters"
- Palmetto Dunes Golf Course - Hilton Head is known for being one of the top-10 Golf Islands in the world. Palmetto Dunes offers three distinct and beautiful championship courses you'll love to play. The par-5 on the 10th of the Robert Trend Jones Course offers inspiring ocean views. Check for tee times at Palmetto Dunes here.
- Coligny Beach - Clean, beautiful and perfect for families. The gradual drop off of the shore means that you are only waist deep even far away from land. This beach offers free parking with a short walk to shops and restaurants. To learn more about all the beaches in Hilton Head, visit this website: "Hilton Head Beaches"
- Fishing Charters and Tours - The Gulf Stream is not far from shore in Hilton Head and that makes for some great deep sea fishing. You'll land Crevalle jack, Redfish, shark and Mackerel. There are several great companies on the island, check out Off The Hook Charters to get started.
- Museum - The Coastal Discovery Museum is one of the most memorable destinations on Hilton Head Island. It's explores the natural history and culture of the low country and has many hands on exhibits for the kids. Learn more about the museum on their website: "Coastal Discovery Museum"
- Harbour Town Lighthouse - The red-and-white lighthouse designed by developer Charles Fraser in 1970 has become a symbol of Hilton Head that is recognized world wide. Grab a Margarita and sit on the rocking chairs while the sun sets and the yachts roll in from the harbor. Learn more about the Sea Pines Resort and Lighthouse by visiting their website.
Definitely bring casual and formal wear on your trip to Hilton Head! There are beautiful restaurants on the island along with places for no shirt, no shoes, no problem dining. You’ll see just as many people in T-shirts as you will with large floppy beach-hats and smart summer dresses. Pack sunscreen, sunglasses and dress in layers. The temperature changes quickly and it’s nice to have a jacket with you for cool nights or a stroll on the beach after dinner.
You can fly directly into Hilton Head or pick the larger airport in Savannah, Georgia and get a rental for the 45-minute drive. Hilton Head offers an array of taxi, limo and shuttle services too. You'll want to get a car if you plan on exploring the entire island on your schedule. Check out travel options here. If you are planning on renting a car while you are in Hilton Head, be sure to read this article on the Sundance Vacations Travel Blog: "10 Tips for Saving Money on Rental Cars"
Transportation to Destination
- Drive to Historic Savannah GA
- Drive to Charleston SC
- Drive to Beufort
Amount of Time
- 45 Minutes
- 2 Hours
- 1 Hour
- The island is shaped like a running shoe!
- Hilton Head Island is the largest barrier island off the Atlantic coast
- The island lies on the Intracoastal Waterway
- Hilton Head encompasses 42 square miles of semi-tropical, unspoiled sea marshes, creeks and lagoons, wooded forests of tall pines, palmettos, magnolias and live oaks and 12 miles of Atlantic Ocean beachfront.