Things to do in the Finger Lakes
Greek Peak Mountain Resort is a ski resort, with a vertical drop of 952 feet, located near Cortland, New York. Greek Peak offers 33 trails of varied terrain with day and night skiing seven days a week from late December until mid March. Greek Peak also offers cross country and snowshoe trails as well as the new Fat Bikes.
- Cascades Indoor Waterpark-
Attached to the Hope Lake Lodge at Greek Peak Mountain Resort, Cascades provides activities for all ages and swimming ability and is the first Indoor Waterpark in the Finger Lakes Region of New York. The whole family will find something to do at this 41,000-square-foot waterpark: modern wave pool , three-story tube water slide, multiple body slides, activity pool, wading pool, multi-level activity structure complete with 500 gallon deluge bucket, indoor & outdoor hot tubs, outdoor pool which is open year round.
- Outdoor Adventure Center at Greek Peak Mountain Resort-
The Outdoor Adventure Center activities: Dual Zip Lines, a high peaks challenge course, twin creeks team challenge course, a eurobungy zone (half trampoline/half Bungee jumping) and a nine-lane winter tubing center, laser tag outdoor course, cub club playland area and indoor kids climbing wall.
- The Virgil Mountain Loop is one of the more popular loop hikes in Central New York. It is a 4.7-mile loop that takes you past the Greek Peak Ski Resort and to the highest point in Cortland County on Virgil Mountain (2,132 ft). There are many views along the way, so make sure to bring your camera!
- Buttermilk Falls State Park-
Buttermilk Falls State Park is a 751-acre state park located southwest of Ithaca, New York (approximately a 20 min drive). It has a 6.2-mile, multiple-route trail that is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.
- Visit wine country-
The region is home to more than 100 wineries and vineyards that have gained worldwide recognition. Wine tours and tastings are offered year-round. Cayuga and Seneca Lakes boast the oldest wine trails in the country, with an abundance of dining options. Other trails include the: Keuka Lake Wine Trail and the Canandaigua Lake Wine Trail. For those who love the outdoors, visit the beautiful state parks in the Finger Lakes. Take a history tour or hike one of over 100 waterfalls located within 10 miles of downtown Ithaca, just a 20-minute drive away.
- Play Miniature Golf.-
Shipwreck Golf is the largest 18-hole indoor miniature golf course in the United States. Indoor glow golf and an outdoor pirate course are great for every age and any size group.
- Murder Mystery Wine Tour-
This tour combines the Finger Lakes and those who love solving mysteries for a one-of-a-kind wine event. Taste some of Ithaca’s premier wines all the while being neck deep in solving a mysterious murder!
What To Pack
Comfortable and casual outfits! If you are visiting the Finger Lakes wine country, comfortable walking shoes are a must. If you plan on hitting any of the outdoor areas for hiking, you may want to bring along some bug spray. If you plan on skiing or are going during the winter, bring gloves, snow boots, ski goggles, ski pants and heavier jacket. Other small items like extra hats and scarves or a sock/glove warmer can make a day on the slopes more fun and less chilly. Also, be sure you leave some space in your car or bag to bring home some of that amazing wine that you may encounter during on of the tours.
The nearest major airport is Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport — ITH — and is 20 miles from the center of Cortland, New York. Another major airport is Greater Binghamton Airport — BGM — which is 40 miles from Cortland, Ny. Syracuse Hancock International Airport — SYR — has international and domestic flights and is 41 miles from Cortland. Some wine tours offer a bus to transport you around but, most of the attractions are spread out, so you will need a car to travel from place to place. In the winter, it’s a good idea to make sure you have a vehicle capable of handling snow. If you are thinking about using a rental, be sure to check out this article on the Sundance Vacations Travel Blog, “10 Tips for Saving Money on Rental Cars”
- May- Hangout Music Festival
- June- Barbecue at the Wineries
- July- Fourth of July Fun, Finger Lakes Wine Festival
- August- Curtiss Classic Motorcycle Rally, NASCAR Series at Watkins Glen International,
- September- NYS Festival of Balloons, Crystal City Harvest Music Festival
- October- Wineglass Marathon, Finger Lakes Beer Festival
- December- Corning Museum of Glass Holiday Open House
|Transportation to Destination||Amount of Time|
Greek Peak1996 Alpha Circle
Virgil, New York
Greek Peak is a year-round, family destination located in the Upstate New York. Conveniently located in the picturesque Finger Lakes Region, Greek Peak offers fun adventures for the entire family.
Travelers May Also Like
Click the Beach Ball for a Random Destination!
- There are a total of 11 lakes in the Finger Lakes Region.
- The Finger Lakes area is the largest United States wine producing region outside of California.
- Geneva is known as the “Lake Trout Capital of the World.” It is also the host site for the Seneca Lake Whale Watch – even though there are no whales in Seneca Lake.
- Humphrey Bogart used to spend his summer vacations on Canandaigua Lake.
- Susan B. Anthony was tried for treason in the Ontario County Courthouse in Canandaigua. The women’s rights leader was fined $100 for voting in the 1872 Presidential Election. She refused to pay the fine.
- The Lady Bug is the official New York State insect, the Bluebird is the official state bird and the Rose is the official flower.