Things to do on the Delaware Shore
- Beaches, Beaches and More Beaches-
The clean, quiet, family-friendly beaches in Delaware are perfect for relaxing, but travelers can also choose from a number of other awesome activities too! Surfing, fishing, swimming and even tossing a Frisbee or football, no matter what you like to do, these sandy shores are a perfect setting for it!
Fun for kids of all ages since 1962. Rides range from classic, like the carousel, to more modern adventures aboard the Superflip or Freefall. They have sixteen games and a classic arcade too!
- Bethany Beach Boardwalk
The boardwalk offers a variety of restaurants and shops selling tropical souvenirs. The town boardwalk is .38 miles long and 12 feet wide. Whether you’re looking for a leisurely walk or a daily jog, the boardwalk has become a favorite for many who wish to stretch their legs.
The spas are plentiful in the Delaware Beach area. Why not book a massage ahead of time and get even more relaxed while on vacation? There are many to choose from, One Spirit Massage Studio in Rehoboth is one of our personal favorites.
- Water Sports-
Have some fun in the warm water, temperatures hit the mid 70s in July, they are a perfect way to get refreshed from the hot sun. Try your hand at paddle boarding, kayaking or wind surfing, most shops will offer rentals, lessons and guided excursions. Consider the Bethany Surf Shop for your rentals and needs.
If you love big discounts on name brand merchandise, shop the Tanger Outlets in Rehoboth Beach. If you’d like to pick up something local, The Art League of Ocean City is one of many galleries featuring works and prints for sale at reasonable prices.
- Bethany Beach Nature Center-
Inside the nature center, visitors can explore interactive exhibits that allow visitors to ‘virtually’ explore the Inland Bays watershed from the headwaters, through the maritime forests and across the salt marshes. Outside, visitors can make a similar exploration through forest and marsh along a handicap-accessible boardwalk that has been built to lead you through each habitat with educational signage to keep you informed along the way. The 26-acre conservation area includes three acres of forested uplands, nine acres of freshwater wetlands and fourteen acres of tidal wetlands.
- Sundance Vacations Travel Blog –
For more awesome ideas of things to do, see and check out while you are in the Delaware Beach areas, read this article on our Sundance Vacations Travel Blog: “Delaware Beaches: Endless Possibilities”
- Beaches, Beaches and More Beaches-
What To Pack
Casual and relaxed outfits. Bring lots of T-shirts and flip flops. There are miles of beach to walk barefoot, but if your going to enjoy the boardwalk, comfortable shoes are a must. The beach atmosphere is casual with an edge, there are tons of quaint shops and art gallery’s so packing a few accessories such as a bold scarf or statement necklace will take your casual look up a notch. For the gentleman, nicer sandals or “preppy” shirts for a nice dinner out. If you are hitting the beach remember to bring along your swimsuits, sunscreen, beach towels, a football or Frisbee and shades!
The nearest major airport is Ocean City Municipal Airport — OXB. Most of the attractions are spread out, so you will need a car to travel from place to place. Getting to Shelbyville, Delaware is easiest by car, either driving from one of the region’s airports or driving from another location in the US. For a larger airport with more extensive flights and services, Dulles International Airport is a two and a half hour drive from Rehoboth Beach, Philadelphia and Baltimore-Washington. Cars can be rented at any of the airports above, if you are thinking about using a rental, be sure to check out this article on the Sundance Vacations Travel Blog, “10 Tips for Saving Money on Rental Cars”
- May – Dover Days Festival, Day in Old New Castle, Horseshoe Crab and Shorebird Festival
- June – St. Anthony’s Italian Festival, Firefly Music Festival
- July – Delaware State Fair
- August – Rehoboth Beach Sandcastle Contest
- September – Delaware Saengerbund Oktoberfest
- October – Coast Day, Boast the Coast Maritime Festival, Rehoboth Beach Jazz Festival, Sea Witch Halloween & Fiddler’s Festival
- November – Rehoboth Beach Independent Film Festival, World Championship Punkin Chunkin
|Transportation to Destination||Amount of Time|
|Drive to Ocean City MD||35 Minutes|
|Drive to Bethany Beach DE||5 Minutes|
|Drive to Philadelphia PA||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Drive to Washington DC||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Drive to Rehoboth Beach DE||26 Minutes|
|Drive to Shelbyville DE||20 Minutes|
Bayview LandingOliver Drive
The spacious townhouses in Bayview offer a quiet relaxing getaway. They are located 11 miles from Ocean City, Maryland.
Bayville ShoresBay Vista Drive
Located on Fenwick Island, Delaware, you are only a short distance from two fantastic beaches, Bethany Beach, De. and Ocean City, Md.
Bethany Bay Resort and Golf Club37450 Pettinaro Road
Ocean View, Delaware
You can walk to Indian Bay to enjoy the surf or drive a quick 15 minutes to Bethany Beach for some fun.
Mallard LakesRoute 54 Selbyville, Delaware
Whether it’s golfing, shopping or relaxing, Mallard Lakes offers something for everyone.
Villas at Cedar Cove24 Thornberry Road
This serene eastern-shore oasis is filled with island activities including seashore parks, golf courses, sandy beaches located approximately 3 1/2 miles away, fishing, boating, restaurants and shopping! This property is just a short drive from Ocean City, Md., another popular destination on the shore the family will love.
Villas of Bethany West744 Clubhouse Lane
Bethany Beach, Delaware
Bethany Beach is the ideal summer getaway for families! Kick back on the sandy beach and then stroll the popular Bethany Beach boardwalk to find shops, restaurants and more. Bethany Beach has that “community” feel, so you’ll feel right at home.
Westwood Condo821 Westwood Avenue
Bethany Beach, Delaware
Bethany Beach was named one of the, “15 Best Secret Beaches on Earth,” by Travel and Leisure Magazine in March 2012 and the Bethany Beach Boardwalk was also named one of the best in the country by Forbes Magazine, once you visit you’ll know why!
Travelers May Also Like
- Hilton Head, South Carolina
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Gulf Shores, Alabama
- Florida West Coast
- Ocean City, Maryland
- New Jersey Shore
Click the Beach Ball for a Random Destination!
- The world’s largest Lego tower was built in Wilmington, De. Standing 11 stories tall and made of more than 500,000 bricks, this 112-foot masterpiece beat out the previous 106-foot champion in Prague.
- Delaware is home to the “Punkin Chunkin” world championship, a sport in which people use a variety of devices to hurl pumpkins as far as they can. With over 100 teams competing, the record is 5,545 feet, that’s more than a mile!
- Most major banks keep their headquarters in Delaware because it has a reputation of being as lenient as the Cayman Islands.
- Say hello to tax-free shopping. If it says .99 cents on the tag, in Delaware, that’s what you’ll pay.
- There’s a Disc Golf course in every Delaware State Park.
- Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton produces 175,000 barrels of beer every year. That’s almost 700 million bottles of beer, enough for everyone in Delaware to have two beers every day for a year.